Another glorious day in London. This time we ventured over to Notting Hill and explored Portobello Road.

It was packed with people. Oh, so many people everywhere. But what can you expect for a beautiful Saturday afternoon?
For those unfamiliar with Portobello Road, it is filled with antique shops, people selling brick-a-brack, vegetables and fruit, and many little shops filled with sliver tea sets, antique jewellery and furniture.


This shop was selling art deco furniture. I had to look twice at this piece. It's a real Eames lounge chair in white leather. Ah. Beautiful! I wanted it. The store keeper said it's £1,000. I was about to buy it right there on the spot. Yes, I felt it was overpriced. But, I couldn't help it. It was beautiful. The only thing stopping me was that little voice inside my head saying. How are you going to get that home to Brighton, let alone to America? The cost of shipping alone would be outrageous. Be realistic Jennifer. So, I decided to take a photo instead. Maybe someday I'll have my very own. A girl can dream.

At least I can indulge in a cheaper item next door to the shop. The Hummingbird Bakery! Yes, yes. It's a cupcakery. What else would it be? 

Of course I waited in line like all of the other smucks jonesing for an overpriced little piece of cake. I didn't care. 

Flavor of the day: Orange Blossom. Mmmm sounds delicious!



I opted for the vanilla. You can tell a lot about a bakery by their vanilla. Honestly. Not all that impressed. It was good. But it was more like a Betty Crocker good.

Eric opted for the classic red velvet. It did NOT disappoint people. Delicious!

Next, we headed on over to Hyde Park to visit the new Serpentine Pavilion.

Oh, beautiful Hyde Park. You are lovely. Too bad it hasn't rained in weeks! The lawns are all dried out and brown. 


Here is the new exhibit. If you recall a previous post, there was a different Pavilion in the same place last year. Every year a new architect is commissioned to design a pavilion however they want. It usually consists of a small cafe and an area for park goers to relax and enjoy the day. 

This time it was Jean Nouvel's turn. He is a french architect most notably known for the Torre Agbar in Barcelona (see this post) and for the Copenhagen Concert Hall (which I really want to go see if we ever make it to Denmark), along with many other amazing buildings.

This pavilion did not disappoint. It was relaxing, fun, and interactive for all ages. 

The red is so vibrant - it's almost too much. Everything is red, right down to the garbage bins and serving utensils. 

There are two mirror/window panels that move back and forth. The kids were having a good time with it.
And so were we!

How you doin'?

There was a lovely salad garden growing right next to where we were sitting! Talk about reducing your carbon footprint!

I highly recommend stopping for a short refreshment break if you're in the area. It's not to be missed!
Next, we had a few bits to kill before we were to meet up with friends for dinner. We decided to pop our heads in the V&A Museum. Along our way we stumbled across an LDS church! 

Sometimes things like that just pleasantly surprise me and make me feel so at home when I see one of these on our days out. 


I thought this was pretty cool. It says that the damage done to the building (the V&A) was from enemy bombing during WWII. The damaged wall was left as a memorial.

The museum was about to close but there is an architectural exhibition going on right now. We only had time to view one of the eight exhibits. This one is a staircase filled with books.

It's hard to show in photos but it was pretty neat. Hopefully we'll make it back sooner rather than later to view the rest of the exhibits and to explore the museum itself. 
Boy, people must thing we're really old and boring. All we do is tour museums like old people. We do other things too. I just don't take photos of them or post about them. Well, I don't care. I like a little culture in my life. :)



It was Kat's birthday the following day. She's recently moved to London so we don't get to see her very often anymore. Booo. After a very filling meal I, of course, can't wait for a photo to be taken and have to indulge into my dessert course immediately. 
Geez Jen. Can't you contain yourself? All the other girls are so polite.
Happy Birthday Kat!



Comments