Random Extras

This will probably be one of the more non-touristy (is that even a word?) posts of the lot but I just had to get it out there. See, January has lent itself to be wet, cold and frankly quite uneventful for us. I barely got by with my studies without pulling all of my hair out. Yet this term is proving to be even more challenging then last. So, pardon for the extreme lack of attention but to be honest, there just hasn't been much to say.
So, I post. I just had to add my little bits that Eric just happened to leave out. It's all about the food folks, it's all about the food.
We begin by sharing a small get-together with a friend from school. Joy is from Taiwan and invited me and Eric to experience some of her Taiwanese cooking. It was delish and there was so much food! This was just half of it. Joy said traditionally her mother cooks 12, yes, TWELVE dishes EVERY DAY! That makes me exhausted just thinking about it.
Joy also invited one of her neighbours over to join us.
Mmmm. Thanks Joy!
As we move along, we go back to Christmas. Yes, I know, Christmas. But it will be quick.
In Eric's stocking he got a stack of cards and look what it made! Thanks for the toy mom! Love, Eric
Christmas Eve with our gifts from the family. What a fun little Christmas.
During the day we went over to our friends house and vegged. It was nice. We did a little gift exchange. Kat is going to kill me once she realises I posted a picture of her.
This is Adam, her hubby. They are the cutest couple ever.
Katherine even made a turkey dinner for us all - and she's vegetarian. That's love. Thanks for the fun day guys!
This is a park I walk through just about every day when I go to school or church. It's called The Level. It was just after I had taken my exam and I was feeling so relieved to have it over with. The snow was softly falling and everything was all so calm and peaceful.
Katherine is going to kill me again once she finds out I posted these too. She had about a week left before her due date and my other friend, Rebecca and I finally were able to coordinate a baby shower for her. I hope we didn't embarrass her too much.
Traditionally in England they don't throw baby showers. They are really missing out because it's a good excuse to have a party. And I do love a party.
Now, to add to Eric's Barcelona post.
He barley touched on the chocolate museum and our gastronomical experiences. I felt it my duty to fill you all in. You're welcome.
Here we are at the chocolate museum. Yes, in my hand is our admission ticket. A bar of chocolate! How appropriate.
A lovely sculpture of a bull fight...
A replica of the Gaudi lizard...
...and my favourite. Wall-E! All chocolate!
I have a thing that whenever I go to a new place I have to check out their grocery stores. It's weird, I know. But sometimes you come accross some real gems. And boy did we ever discover a gem!
These are all jamons. Yes, cured ham. Just sitting out. Out in the open air. The smell. The smell was bad. Stinky bad.
My favourite is that the hoofs are still attached. Oh gross.
The the seafood counter. I don't particularly like raw seafood. Especially when it looks like this. Yuck.
So, as I was taking photos I got yelled at. At first I didn't know it was me the sales lady was yelling at until Eric translated. Apparently it was illegal to take photos of the fish. She threatened to call the police and have my memory card erased! What I want to know is what is so top secret about some stinky fish anyway? Well, I showed her. I took the photo and now I've posted it ONLINE for ALL to SEE! Ha! Take that!
But as a treat for you all I have saved the best for last. Do you know what you're looking at? Yes, that is a pig. A whole pig. Who buys this stuff?
Now, on to the cooked part.
This is a beautiful restaurant near the marina in Barcelona. It was recommended for its delicious paella.
(No, it's not your eyes, it is blurry. But it's the only photo of us from that night.)
We didn't leave much for you to see. It was that good.
This is a little gem of a place that served delicious tapas. It was just off Las Ramblas on a small side street.
This was our favourite of all the tapas.
Not.
But, it was the most adventurous for me. Little cuttle fish. They actually weren't that bad. They tasted like calamari. I felt like a brave foodie for eating one.
Now you're caught up. We're off to Windsor Castle tomorrow. But don't hold your breath for a post of it any time soon.

Comments